- An experienced classroom teacher for youth aged 11-19 years.
- Trained as an independent college counselor to find academic, social, and financial fit for students.
- Trained in ethical and best-practice counseling.
- Extensive training and practice with diverse learning profiles and their application in academic and non-academic settings.
- Trained and seasoned facilitator of highly diverse student populations.
Scattergood Friends School, West Branch, IA
Head of School
- Led all operations of the school: academic, student and residential life, admissions, business and finance, facilities, farm and kitchen, advancement, and external relations
- Led diversity initiatives: improved gender-sensitive inclusivity (use of language, residential policies and practices, and nurturing a culture of support); spearheaded a multi-school student diversity leadership workshop and supported ongoing student and staff initiatives.
- Received consistently positive results from parent, student, and staff surveys of performance as HOS
- Led vastly improved campus network environment for effective use of technology for learning and collaboration
- Cooked breakfast for the school 2-3 days/week
- Led week-long trips for students to Chicago (service-work) and Ozark Mountains (hiking/camping)
Scattergood Friends School, West Branch, IA
Assistant Head of School
- Leader in a Friends boarding school with 23 faculty/staff and 41 students in grades 9-12
- Breakfast cook for the school 2-3 days/week
- Trip co-leader: backpacking in the Ozark Mountains
- Trip leader: student seadership workshop at the 2013 White Privilege Conference
Hyla Middle School, Bainbridge Island, WA
Head of School
- Served as head of independent middle school with 20 faculty/staff and 86 students in grades 6-8
- Hired, integrated, and nurtured highly qualified faculty dedicated to student-centered learning
- Co-chaired school’s Diversity Committee and served as advisor/chaperone (and only Head in attendance) for PNAIS Student Diversity Leadership Conference, 2012, culminating in student-authored production of a 60-second public service announcement, “Erase the Hate”
- Co-presented an educational program with facilitated discussion to community members, “Boys and the Media,” 2012
Annunciation Orthodox School, Houston, TX
Head of Middle School
- Directed middle school program and budget for 270 students and 30 faculty/staff in grades 5-8. Worked closely with head of school re: policy, hiring, and termination.
- Served as school’s first Diversity Coordinator
- Served on Admissions Committee and provided extensive high school counseling
- Chaired school’s Technology Committee
- Advised/directed student-authored middle school newspaper
Sandia Preparatory School, Albuquerque, NM
- Teacher and Advisor, Middle and High School History and Geography 1990-2001
- Sixth Grade Coordinator, 1995-2001
- Founding Director, Summer Program, 1994-1996
- Served on Technology Committee, 1994-1998; developed and implemented school’s first campus-wide technology plan, 1996
- Served on Re-Accreditation Committee, 1997-1998; prepared comprehensive self-study report on school governance
- Model United Nations Coach, 1990-2001
- Middle and Upper School Boys Basketball Coach 1990-2001
St. Michael’s High School, Santa Fe, NM
- A.P. History and Civics Teacher, Boys Basketball Coach, and Model United Nations Advisor
DeVargas Junior High School, Santa Fe, NM
Northwest School, Seattle, WA
Related Professional Activities
Speaker at professional conferences
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) National Conference, NAIS People of Color Conference, New Mexico Council for the Social Studies, New Mexico Association of Nonpublic Schools, National Council for the Social Studies, Independent Schools Association of the Southwest
Independent Schools Association of Central States, 2013-present
- Completed final progress report for Scattergood’s 2009-2016 accreditation cycle, earning the school’s re-accreditation.
- Visitation Team Vice Chair for accreditation visit to Olney Friends School, April 2016
Pacific Northwest Association of Independent Schools, 2007-2012
- Visitation Team Vice Chair/Third Head for accreditation visits of three schools
Independent Schools Association of the Southwest, 2004
- Visitation team member for re-accreditation of St. Gregory’s Episcopal School, Tucson, AZ
Houston Diversity Coalition, 2004-2007
- Administrative Liaison and Student Coordinator
New Mexico Council for the Social Studies, 1992-2001
- Former President, Fall Conference Chair, Newsletter Editor, and Membership Coordinator
New Mexico Model United Nations, 1991-2001
- Advisor and former President
- Co-author of first on-line handbook for students and advisors
Just Know Coalition (now named Raising Resilience), 2009 - 2013
- Acting Treasurer.
- Board development and strategy.
- Worked with a group of community educators and counselors to set agendas for parent education programs for healthy child and teen development
- Jointly facilitated two programs, including a talk by Laura Kastner, author of Getting to Calm: Cool Headed Strategies for Parents of Tweens and Teens
Amigos de las Americas, 2012 - 2013
- Vice President, Seattle Chapter
- Recruiting, strategy, and development for training and supporting teen and college-age volunteers in Latin America
- Leading search for Treasurer.
M.B.A., University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 2002
B.A., Education, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 1988
B.A., History, Reed College, Portland, Oregon, 1983
Extended/in-depth training: Curriculum by Design (David Grant and Grant Wiggins); Schools Attuned (Mel Levine); Woodrow Wilson Foundation; United States Institute of Peace; AISNE Middle School Workshop; Stanley King Institute (Counseling); Crossroads (Counseling); Educational Records Bureau: CTP IV and WrAP test administration and analysis; NAIS Summer Diversity Institute, Center for Advancement of Mathematics Teaching
Born: July 31, 1960, Denver, Colorado
Spouse: Amy King Weber, Creative Residency Manager (Bloedel Reserve), fiber artist. Two children aged 29 and 31
Hobbies: Cooking, reading, yoga, hiking, camping, cycling